Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Going for a look in Pro8mm 800ASA (realmedia link)

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    The Super8mm Militia is soon going to attempt to make a silent 18fps B&W short film at night using negative film. Actually, I don't know about the B&W part. The film is supposed to me more of a suspense type film. I'd like it to look grainy and washed out with a lot of dust specs. I plan to crop the top and bottom so ti appears widescreen.

    In preparation to do this I had to go back and look at some tests I did a few years ago. The footage was scratched up and shot on Pro8mm 640ASA stock at 24fps. I used my Goko TC-20, a Sony DXC-M3 tube camera, and a Sony Multi Color Corrector XV-700. I think in post we will actually use a Workprinter with a 3CCD camera and invert and color correct using Adobe Premiere.

    Anyway for fun I thought I'd post the bad transfer. The images are not sharp as I was in the process of cleaning my house, drinking, and watching TV at the time, but it's nice to see what a high ASA can do.

    The beginning of the film just shows the San Francisco lights from above (I was on a friends balcony). The end shows my ex in the subways of San Francisco. Again, this was done with 640ASA. They don't sell that anymore at Pro8mm so we'll be using 800ASA for our film. Plus we'll be shooting at 18fps so we should get just a little more light in that respect.

    http://www.super8mm.org/media.ram

    The file is streaming, but it's 18 megs so I don't plan to leave it up for long. It's about 3:30 minutes. Please let me know what you think of the look.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Foxfurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2000
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Heh, I thought I was the only one still shooting silent at 18fps [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Foxfurr:
    Heh, I thought I was the only one still shooting silent at 18fps [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    If I'm going to be shoot silent I might as well, right? After all, since it's negative it's going to have to be transfered to digital anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •